1. Intro / Dam Funk – I Wanna Thank U (4 Steppin’ Into My Life) ~ 2013
2. Octavio Santos – Fall In Love (For Dilla)
3. Matmatix – Landspeeder
4. Evil Needle – One for Kennedy
5. Jay Dee feat Frank N Dank – Pause (Sawandi Rework)
6. Analog | Division – Just Another Day
7. DarkoTheSuper – Dilla Dawg Is The Illest
8. D.L.O. the Iceman – I Am Legend
9. J Dilla – Grannie
10. JuSouL – Thank You (A J Dilla Tribute)
11. Robot Orchestra-Beauty And The Beat
12. Freshtone – Give You The One (Instrumental)
13. J Dilla – Ruff And Rugged
14. PSimDope-Air & Water [Dilla x Aaliyah]
15. Illa J – DFTF (Instrumental)
16. Bahamadia – Uknowhowwedu (Instrumental)
17. J Dilla – Kaklow (Jump on It)
18. Nate OG – His-Story!
19. Spacek – Dollar…Circulate (Out of Spacek Remix)
20. Slum Village – World Full of Sadness
21. J. Rawls – A Tribute To Dilla
22. Mar Variation – 2u4u
23. Slum Village – What it’s All About
24. Al Hudson & The Soul Partners – I’m About Loving You
February is J Dilla month and we have none other than sunny Singaporean eclectic selector and Darker Than Wax label owner Funk Bast*rd to guest for this special tribute edition hip-hop podcast exclusively threaded together using Dilla beats and originals.
“J Dilla’s still alive as long as his music is.” – Immortal Technique
Artwork by: Eric F. aka The Town Jeweller
When and where, how was this mix recorded?
It was recorded on a lazy, cool Sunday right here at the Darker Than Wax HQ.
How will you describe it to us?
It comprises of different shades or moods, if you like. I tried to capture the various phases in his musical career, from the early days to some of the more experimental bits that he was doing. I mean, to be honest there are too many ill tributes out there already by the likes of J Rocc and Questlove, just to name these two but this mix is more about the curation of specific tribute tunes by contemporary beat makers that continue to be influenced by Dilla himself. Also, the concept of ‘blending’ in btw spaces is what I am obsessed with in my mixes, and this is an ongoing experiment in creating blends.
How did you get first introduced to J Dilla’s music?
This was back in Australia, when I was studying for my Architecture degree. I was hanging at a mate’s room when Slum Village’s Fantastic Vol.2 came on radio. I was hooked for life. That was my official portal into the world of Hip-hop.
Favourite J Dilla tune and why?
This is a tough one, but ‘Dreamy’ would come close to being that. The way he used Dave Grusin’s sample was just amazing. I can’t even explain in words really. It’s just pure vibe and energy. TIMELESS music.
Favourite EP off your label and why?
It would have to be the forthcoming ‘Truman Shuzz’ Ep by one of our new signings, Monk’ out of Paris. If you dig the heavy synthesized funk stuff, you do need to check this one out. Music that works both on and off the dance floor.
Describe yourself in 3 words.
Passionate, brash at times but always grounded.